Saturday, 31 July 2010

The Ark. (1)

“Riley, you need to learn to close this door before the three of us freeze to death.” I heard John say. I didn’t look up from my cards. We were in a large boat, designed by the US government, with the help of my Dad, Riley and my big brother John, to survive almost any natural disaster. They called it ‘The Ark’, ironically enough. The first night I was aboard The Ark, I forced John and Riley to watch “Evan almighty” with me, just because I found the concept hilarious at the time. We were sat in Riley’s tech den, which was close to the room that generated the air conditioning, so it got a little chilly a night. John always complained to Riley, but Riley never did close the door. We teased him for being cold blooded sometimes, because he didn’t seem to mind if the room’s temperature was below zero or not. The room was dark, lit only with the artificial light of the numerous computer screens mounted on the north wall. To the east, there was a high bench with a stool, piled with technical stuff like wires and microchips; Riley kind of stuff. In the middle was a metal rectangle table, covered in poker chips, cans of beer and a big bottle of diet brown pop. Riley was sat to my right. He’s shorter than me, around five foot six, and he liked to keep his stubble all year round. His face was small, with high cheekbones, and his brown hair was longer on top than it is on the sides. He called it his lucky university hair. It’s a long story. He claimed that he could never get a girl until the day his roommate shaved off his hair after Riley had fallen asleep reading “The Great Gatsby” at his desk. That night, he got laid. Well, he claims to of had. Nobody knows if it’s true or not. He was wearing his usual short sleeved t-shirt and jeans. In his hands was his poker hand.

”Raise,” I said, sliding a red chip into the middle of the table.
”Damn you, Vicky…. Fold” Riley said, putting his cards down. I looked a John, who was now back in his seat, to my left. Taking a swig of my drink, I watched John smirk and slide a red chip into the middle himself. I watched him carefully, smiling to myself, and revealed my cards.
”Jesus Christ, John, your little sister is destroying us. This is a disgrace for all men.” Riley said as I laughed lightly, taking my winnings from the middle of the table and adding them to my already huge pile.
”Stop being so whiney Riley. You lost because you tried to cheat.” I rolled my eyes at him.
”I’ll have you know that it was not my fault. John got up to close the door and I just happened to see that he had that queen” Riley said, nodding towards the direction of Johns cards that were laying on the table in front of him as he took a swig of his sixth beer can.
”Bullshit, Rile’s”
”No more drinking for you, John. You’re in ‘Aggressive swearing mode”” I laughed, getting up and taking the un-opened cans of beer to put them in Riley’s above average sized mini fridge.
”I think it’s safe to say you won tonight, V. and its waaaaay past your bed time,” John stood up, downed his beer. Slamming the empty can on the table, he held out his hand. “C’mon” I walked over to Riley, kissed his cheek and said goodnight.

John ended up slinging me over his shoulder. He liked to remind me that because he was my older brother, he was stronger than me and always would be. I laughed it off when he put me down outside my room and hugged him.
”Goodnight, V. Don’t let the sugar keep you awake tonight, you’ve got to be up early tomorrow to-“
”Yeah yeah, to learn how to read the stupid radars in case of emergency. Dad already reminded me half a billion times before lunch today.” ”Technically yesterday, V,” John showed me his watch and opened my door.
“Sleep” He said as he nudged me into my room. He kissed my forehead and closed the door, leaving me to get changed and go to bed. I pawed through my drawers and picked out my zebra pyjama’s. Zebra print bottoms and a pink top, with a cute little zebra on. I got changed quickly, tossing my dirty clothes in the hamper, before climbing into my bed and pulling out my diary. I grabbed the closest pen to me, as my bed side cabinet was covered in different pens, books and jewellery and started to scribble away.

Dear diary,
Today is Thursday 11th October, 2012. I woke up to the loud noise of the ships horn once again. They have so far tested it every morning this week. Somehow, I think it works. Dad wants me to learn some things over the next few months. He calls them ‘Emergency skills’ that I ‘should learn for my own benefit as well as the futures benefit’. Bullshit. He just doesn’t know what to do with me. Mum would know. She always knew.

John was training again this morning, so he was too busy to help me put up my bookshelf in my room. I bugged Riley into helping me instead. He was happy enough to help, because he got to use another one of his gadgets to make sure the damn thing was straight. It took a whole hour, but its up on the wall. It’s not exactly straight, but at least my books don’t fall off. As long as I keep a big stone on both ends, the books should stay.

Speaking of books, the library looks so much better now. Tyler was too busy sorting out the whole Shakespeare section today, so he, yet again, didn’t notice me. Though, I think it was a good thing he didn’t notice me today. I was helping Julie after lunch with dad by moving some of the new books and ended up tripping over and dropping them all on the floor. Worst thing was it was in front of the row of shelves Tyler was at. I don’t think he saw though, so I think I’m okay in the embarrassment department for now.

Ending up playing poker with John and Riley. I won of course. I always do. It’s pretty late, or pretty early. One am is a quiet time on the Ark. No big and burly army men prowling around the corridors making sure everything is okay, no maids bustling from room to room to keep things clean and tidy. Time to just lie down and listen to the soft wind whistle through the metal of the ship. Victoria reporting in for today. Goodnight.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Template by:
Free Blog Templates